Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

A decade of growing-up

I started the Millenium, very drunk, without my shoes, in a silver sparkly dress and almost featherless feather boa. I end the decade 2000km away from my home country, with my own apartment, still a student of sorts and a fabulous person to share it all with. I'm hoping tonight may be slightly more civilised ending to what I started the Millenium with. We'll have to see though - since I now live in a country renowned for celebrating almost everything in life with alcohol.

Early 2000's saw me through my final school years - not excelling quite as many hoped due to my discovery of boys and underage drinking and going out. I somehow made it to Uni, where I promptly got myself a long term boyfriend. If there is anything I have to regret about Uni it would be having a boyfriend - it was a restriction, I had tonnes of fun but I could have had more. But, without him I wouldn't have met some wonderful friends - people I still know, love and keep in touch with.

Just before halfway through the 2000's I came out to Finland for a year's practical training. Life changing does not even come to describe that decision. I lived in student apartments 17m2 with a tiny bathroom and shared kitchen with all the other exchange students. It was fabulous - I had so much fun and met so many other people. I also met my current love - who really opened my eyes - not just to the real Finland but also on attitudes to life. I don't think he meant to alter how I saw things, I think I was just ready for a change. I returned to finish my degree & finish my old relationship - if I hadn't I swear I would be married, middle-age before my time and miserable. I was in danger of following the path that is inbuilt into you by society's expectations and I'm glad I did a u-turn.

I returned to Finland with a view of being here for a couple of years. As all graduates do, I thought I was employable. I hadn't factored on language being such an issue - everyone speaks good English here and science is conducted in English. Sadly, many Finnish companies feel that hiring a foreigner will upset the balance to their workforce even if speaking Finnish is not necessary to perform the job. I also overestimated my degree - what is a good bachelor's degree with a year's solid practical experience in a country where everyone graduates with a Master's?   Due to my being completely unemployable and the job market being incredibly small for Finns and practically invisible for foreigners, I embarked on a PhD. I would never have done it without one of my old professors at my UK university encouraging me. For that I thank him. When I started the PhD I thought I would be finished by now, but sadly I'm not, but in this economic climate, I am perfectly happy where I am. I enjoy my work, the flexibility I have and the many responsibilities I have with it.

When I started this decade - I didn't have a clue that I would end up here. I had great aspirations of having a fabulous job in London or something and moving high up rapidly and making lots of money so I could go traveling and see the world and have lots of nice expensive things. I thought I would look different. I thought my life would be different. What has happened this decade is I have grown up. Life isn't so rosy and sometimes the day to day can be a drag. There's more resposibility as you realise that no-one is going to come to the rescue anymore - that you are responsible for yourself. But on the other hand it can be tremendous fun - that same resposibility means you decide what you do and you are answerable to no one. For that I am glad to consider myself a grown-up (still with very childish tendencies though!)

This decade has been fabulous - mostly thanks to the support of my family who are an amazing bunch and my friends who are always there for me. Some people I have lost along the way, but the ones who have mattered the most are still with me and I have met a number of new ones who are still along tor the ride. I love you all so very much xx

Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

Not From Lapland said...

at the beginning of last decade I couldn't have pointed to Finland on a map. Life's twists and turns are what makes it interesting, eh? I hope your new year was good fun and you managed to keep your shoes this time.