Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Jerk chicken, rice, salad and corn

I bought Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals book the other day. Having heard reports that 30 minutes was a bit of an underestimation for how long the meals really do take to cook, I decided to do what I don't normally do and that is sit and read the introduction. What I found was that he admits that initially these meals won't take 30 mins from start to finish, given the right tools and some practice it will be possible.

We decided to to try the Jerk chicken with rice and black beans, accompanied by a light salad and corn on the cob. While it took 2 of us relatively skilled cooks 50 minutes to prepare from start to finish, it was worth it. The chicken was perfectly done, the salad refreshing and the rice/bean mix was delicious. It had quite a lot of heat, but the yoghurt sauce helped temper the heat. I have to say this was a brilliant meal, and what I was also pretty chuffed with was the fact that everything looked like the pictures in the book! I will try a few more recipes from this book and review them, so watch this space...

No comments: